APPLYHow to apply for the Barron Prize
2016 WINNERS WILL BE ANNOUNCED ON SEPTEMBER 30!
Applications are accepted online only.
Our 2016 application cycle has ended.Winners will be announced September 30.
The Barron Prize welcomes applications from public-spirited young people who are, on our April 15 deadline:
- between the ages of 8 and 18 (not yet age 19)
- permanent residents of and currently residing in the U.S.A. or Canada
- currently working on an inspiring service project or have done so within the past 12 months
- working as an individual to lead their service work. The Barron Prize does not accept applications from large groups of young people.
The Barron Prize does not discriminate against its applicants based on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, creed, religion, gender, sexual orientation, or disability.
You may download a sample application to use in planning and organizing your application.
Remember, applications are accepted online ONLY. Applications sent via mail or by any method other than our online system will be deemed ineligible.
APPLICATION PROCESS TIMELINE
WHAT WINNERS RECEIVE
Young Heroes Materials
Our judges use the following criteria in choosing winners:
1. Winners must have organized and led an extraordinary service activity which has clearly benefited other people or the planet we share.
• The service activity must have been initiated and motivated primarily by the winner himself or herself.
• The service activity cannot have been done solely to complete an assignment for school or work.
2. Winners must have:
• demonstrated positive spirit, courage, intelligence, generosity, and high moral purpose.
• shown initiative, tenacity, and unselfishness in pursuit of their goals.
• accomplished something with inspirational value—something that could inspire others to make a difference.
• done more than survive a difficult personal challenge. Their heroism must have made an impact on the world beyond themselves.
3. Winners may or may not have received recognition for their heroic work. Fame itself shall not have been a motivating factor.
Please read these requirements carefully before you begin the application process.
- Applications must be completed and submitted online by our deadline of 5:00 p.m. MST on April 15 each year, when the system will automatically close.
- We do not accept applications via fax, email, U.S. mail, or any other carrier.
- Please contact us well in advance of our deadline for any technical assistance you anticipate needing. We do not accept applications after April 15.
- Applications must include a letter from the Lead Reference. A Lead Reference is simply an adult advocate who has solid knowledge of the young person’s heroic activities. Examples of Lead References include teachers, librarians, school counselors, youth service officials, and religious leaders.
- Members of the applicant’s family cannot act as a Lead Reference nor write the other two required letters of recommendation.
- All required application materials must be included at the time of submission. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Contents of the application are considered public information once submitted and should not include private or privileged information.
OUR 2016 APPLICATION CYCLE HAS ENDEDBy submitting an entry in the Gloria Barron Prize for Young Heroes, each applicant acknowledges reading and understanding all the selection criteria and application requirements published on the prize’s website and agrees to observe them. Further, each entrant acknowledges and agrees that as a condition of receiving the prize, the selected individual will cooperate in publicizing the Barron Prize and will grant rights in the applicant’s materials to the Barron Prize.
The Gloria Barron Prize for Young Heroes celebrates inspiring, public-spirited young people from diverse backgrounds all across North America. Each year, the Barron Prize honors 25 outstanding young leaders ages 8 to 18 who have made a significant positive difference to people and the environment.
Gloria Barron Prize for Young Heroes | P.O. Box 1470 | Boulder, CO 80306