BLOGThe Latest Barron Prize News
Thankful Thoughts from Our 2021 Young Heroes
In celebration of this Thanksgiving season, we asked our newest Barron Prize young heroes what they’re feeling thankful for these days. They replied with long lists that include family and friends, supportive teachers, and walks in the woods. Their thankful thoughts inspire us and make us smile. We hope they do the same for you. Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!
– Skip the Plastic Straw campaign
– the ocean
– water polo
– my sister”
Chloe Mei Espinosa, Age 15
Skip the Plastic Straw
Sascha Pakravan, Age 16
I am also so incredibly grateful for the thousands of youth standing up for the preservation of our planet at COP26 right now. It gives me immense hope to see this incredible, powerful force of youth.”
Adarsh Ambati, Age 16
The Green Environment Initiatives
I am thankful for Carnegie Mellon University and their inspiringly innovative approach to interdisciplinary efforts!
Now that I live in Pittsburgh, a city rich with history and adjacent to open green spaces, I am thankful for meandering walks in the woods, peering through lush foliage and marveling at the beauty of the ecosystem.
I am thankful for everyone at The Watershed Institute, a place to learn the wonders of our environment. The Watershed nurtured in me a belief that access to clean water, and access to green spaces, are a fundamental right for everyone.”
Sonja Michaluk, Age 17
Created a Novel Bioassessment Method
1. We just wrapped up Breast Cancer Awareness Month. It was awesome to hear stories from survivors about how they took back the joy that breast cancer has stolen from them.
2. We still don’t have snow in South Dakota, so I get to keep walking my dog and going for runs outside!
3. I got to drop off coffee cup Cozys at a new local boutique today. The people who own it are delightful.”
Jordan Phillips, Age 17
Cozys for the Cure
– cooler weather here in Florida
– I started at a new school this year and I have made some good friends already
– my family and our pets
– being able to get my Covid vaccine!”
Miles Fetherston-Resch, Age 9
Kids Saving Oceans
“I am thankful to be able to continue my work even during the pandemic. I am also incredibly thankful to my parents and my loved ones for their unending love and support.”
Shreyas Kar, Age 16
Sarah Goody, Age 16
Bree Bennett, Age 14
Women In Training, Inc.
I’m thankful for those people who are working to preserve nature as enough wrong has been done to destroy and disturb the equilibrium that had once prevailed.
I’m thankful for every step of encouragement my family has been giving me throughout my life.”
Faraz Tamboli, Age 14
Vivian Wang, Age 18
Linens n’ Love
Brooke Bennett, Age 14
Women In Training